Thursday 29 May 2014

GUEST BLOG - 29th May 2014 - Stan Frith


Stan Frith is a poet and founder member of the appeal board for Friends in Need: Depression Alliance’s wonderful online initiative, about which you can read more here: https://friendsinneed.co.uk. Stan is just about to launch a second book of poetry, Behind the Smile, with proceeds going to help increase the reach of Friends in Need. His work has a fan in me, and Lidia Vianu of Bucharest University has called him a ‘naturally gifted author’ and has said that Behind the Smile ‘will appeal to a wide range of audiences. His beautifully crafted pieces reflect a prodigious range of thoughts, impressions and feelings… with one goal in mind: to chronicle his understanding of the nature of life.’ You can read more about his life and work at http://stanfrith.co.uk

I have written poetry for as long as I can remember. In 2008 when my son died tragically after a four-year battle with depression, I wrote a considerable a number of poems, all of which are included in my (soon to be published) second book of poetry, Behind the Smile. It helped me get through the grieving process.

When Rachel invited me to do a guest post on her blog, I figured why not? Where Rachel is donating her author’s royalties from Black Rainbow to SANE and United Response, I am donating all proceeds from Behind the Smile to Depression Alliance. http://www.depressionalliance.org 

Poetry is a wonderful catharsis – it helps me cope. Firstly to understand my feelings and then to express them in a way that otherwise might be difficult for me to articulate.

However, poems are not only a way of coping – that’s an over simplification. They are a way of capturing feelings, moments in time, and of remembering. Also of helping others to tap into their emotional self in the hope they will also look beyond today and into the future positively and with optimism. Many people have an intuitive sense that voice in general and poetry in particular can be healing. This proved to be the case when I shared the poems I wrote after the loss of Jason with friends and those I love. They became a collective path to healing.

As a poet there is, in my opinion, no greater compliment than someone wanting to share in the emotions that you feel – whether they be highs or lows and especially if depression has touched your life – as you work towards healing and growth. If it makes them feel less alone then it is reward enough for any poet. Below, I’ve included two poems that I wrote on the worst day of my life.  

CAN YOU NOT SEE?
Because my face
creases with laughter
and my mind is often
steeped in song,
can you not see
I suffer greatly after
tolerating pain
so long?

Because my eyes
hide tears of sorrow,
and you do not sense
my inner cry,
can you not see
tho’ my aching heart
still beats,
I might die?

IF
If I can get through this sad day,
contain the pain inside of me,
no matter how heavy my heart,
or how dark the moment may be.

If I can but keep on believing,
what I know in my heart to be true,
then darkness will fade into morning,
and with this dawn a new day, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment