Thursday 22 May 2014

GUEST BLOG - 22nd May 2014 - Alison


Alison suffers from severe depression. She sent me this reader’s review, and the parallels between our stories are overwhelming. It is a true honour to be able to include it on my blog. 

Rachel. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart for this most honest and frank account of your illness. I am a 39 year-old mother of one who is currently suffering from severe anxiety and depression. I have a good career and like you was trying to be the best I could at everything, but I was struggling and didn't want to admit it so kept trying to push through.

 I felt I was falling but tried to keep picking myself up until I realised I was running on empty and my reserve tank was well and truly used up, too. I gave in to the illness and it got me head on. Most of what you describe is so similar to my experience and current experiences: days in bed sobbing, wailing like an injured animal, begging people to help me. When I am in its full grip I text people and ask them to make it go away. The pain is unbearable.

I have a supportive partner and a wonderful family and great support network. At the very beginning I thought an antidepressant and a trip to counselling would make it all better. How wrong was I.

My family and close friends have never seen or experienced anything like this and I know at first their views were what has she got to be depressed about, but day by day they have begun to realise that mindset and question is irrelevant. I have been off work now for three months and the good days are outweighing the bad, but when the bad come they come with full force and spare no mercy! I am working on my relaxation and breathing and cbt and taking the tablets like a good girl! I get asked every morning by my partner!

My book arrived Thursday. I am nearly finished, I have cried most of the way through as I feel your pain and most of what you describe I to can picture myself in that moment. I haven't stopped talking about your book and say to many that I could have written it!

Once my fuel tank is full again I will shout from the rooftops about my journey and if I can help just one person open up then it was worth every stomach churn, panic attack, tear and feeling of total despair. Finding your book was my pot of gold at the end of your black rainbow. Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment