Monday 30 June 2014

GUEST BLOG - 30th June 2014 - Helen Kirwan-Taylor

How making words cured me


Here, journalist and artist Helen Kirwan-Taylor talks about how art therapy helped her recover from ME and anxiety, and ultimately inspired the trajectory of her life and career. Her successful debut solo exhibition was recently held at Themes and Variations Gallery on Westbourne Grove.

When I was hospitalised twenty years ago with ME (they thought) the only word I could find to describe how I felt was “lead”.  It’s as though someone had poured hot metal down my throat and it had filled every corner of my exhausted body.  A good day in hospital was one in which I stayed awake through my husband’s visit.

Having been pumped up with MAOI’s (the strongest anti-depressants on the market that are still effective though too toxic for most practitioners to prescribe today) I wasn’t that depressed, but then again I was on leave from my job for the American news programme 60 Minutes, and basically cut off from the world. Friends spoke about me in hushed tones. Mine was a mysterious disease, the sort that might be made up. I was on the stress wing of the Charter Nightingale Hospital (now the Capio Nightingale) with some seriously unhappy people in the throws of nervous breakdowns. One man had discovered his daughter was soliciting on the street and had contracted HIV. Many had lost their businesses. Noone on the ward had much sympathy for a newly married American who looked fine but kept going on about how tired she was. The doctors, however, knew that my 15-year-old sister, Tasha, had been brutally murdered when I was 13 (and the murder covered up): they suspected my exhaustion was psychosomatic.

One afternoon my frustrated psychiatrist suggested I attend art therapy. At first I refused, claiming I couldn’t manage the stairs (it usually meant three hours of recovery after just one flight). He insisted, volunteering to walk with me regardless of the time it took.

The art room was clearly health and safety-ed with only bits of paper, kiddie scissors, crayons and PVC glue left on tables (no one could really self-harm here unless they drank the whole bottle). I had brought my handbag along as though I were leaving the building (this was a big excursion for me).

The PVC bottle really caught my attention, but I needed something of interest to glue. My handbag! I reached in and opened my wallet. Credit cards! Then (my handbag was large), I pulled out a copy of Tatler, some silk fabric samples, a handful of buttons, some Alka Seltzer tablets, a packet of Estee Lauder serum capsules and a precious gold icon my mother had given me and began cutting. I took the papers we were meant to draw on, sellotaped them together and then (without the slightest idea of what was happening to me) began collaging a figure that clearly was me though I had no idea at the time.

At 6pm the art therapist said they were locking the room for the night. With glue all over my hands, I pleaded to remain. At 7pm, having missed dinner, the psychiatrist on night duty came down and found me sitting on the floor, some of my clothes shredded, painting madly with my lipsticks. His immediate reaction was concern (perhaps I was mad after all?). I was ushered out but as soon as door closed, the fatigue came back, worse than ever. It took me 30 minutes to walk back up the stairs, yet a mere two hours earlier I was cutting and gluing with abandon.

What had happened (with hindsight) is that the scrapbooking had given me a reprieve from the fatigue. A creative task is the easiest way to achieve a sense of flow (writing for me is never without pain, this was very different). I returned the following day in a manic state of excitement to continue where I had left off (now carrying other inmates’ possessions to be sacrificed). Again, I forgot I was leaden limbed.

I slowly recovered from ME in the hospital where I was given special dispensation from group therapy (I talked too much) to spend more time in the art therapy room. I had fans (mostly from the addiction unit) who came to watch or even join in. People suffering from depression have no attachment to wordly goods: one lady handed over her gold plated earrings to complete my self-portrait. 

Some psychiatrists think that depression may be linked to the absence of creative outlets. American health care writer Ellen Dissanayake says that making art has evolved not only as a psychological need, but also as a “proto-aesthetic operation” involving using one’s hands for elaboration, repetition and manipulation, starting in early childhood. Making things sets off a positive loop (as well as a surge of serotonin) called “efforts driven rewards” which is why we feel so good when our cake is baked and iced or our room cleaned up. 

Brain-wise, moving our hands activates larger areas of the cortex than movement of other parts of the body such as our legs or back muscles.   Both the Maker and the Tinkering movements in the U.S. are based around the fundamental need that humans have to create (they are also a reaction against the insidious use of technology). Camps have been set up across the country to encourage children to do what most of us did when we were small e.g. muck about until we were told to stop.

My art therapy experience opened a whole new world for me, which culminated in an exhibit of three-dimensional words at Themes & Variations in Notting Hill this month. My making year passed in a fog. Days came and went in which I forgot to eat or even wash. I worried about a relapse (I had one when I was working too hard for the Financial Times seven years ago), but this time none came.

I was stressed, yes, but motivated, almost high. Some girlfriends were jealous of my passion (I behaved as though in the throws of a passionate love affair).

When I stopped, the familiar anxiety, exhaustion and self-doubt resurfaced. Flow takes a great deal of discipline, preparation and energy to achieve but I now see why writers keep writing, musicians keep composing and cooks keep cooking regardless of commissions or even outside interest. Woody Allen makes films because he doesn’t want to know what would happen if he stopped. He takes the hits from the critics because it hurts less than the hits he gives himself.   I’m not talking high art either. Crafting is a huge movement in the UK because it brings such wonderful “effort driven rewards.”  DIY fits into the same category, and gardening.

Separated from my serotonin drip, I had become depressed. I spent hours googling “how to cope with failure.” I avoided going into the gallery (a sale gave me a momentary hit but then I felt bleak again). My GP prescribed an anti-depressant and I signed up for a Mindfulness course, the usual usual.

Then I came to an obvious conclusion. Keep making, regardless. Be Woody Allen. I suggested to the gallerist that I bring new words into the gallery and place them in a specially made flexible frame rather like bouquets of flowers? (which die.) Perhaps other artists think more strategically, but for me part of the creative process is being random and spontaneous. There isn’t a business plan (or any plan) apart from re-enacting my art therapy days and going mad with scissors and glue once more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment