Saturday 21 June 2014

Ideas to Help - JUNE 21, 2014 FROM THE COUCH BY RACHEL KELLY

So we’ve established that there’s no magic bullet for managing anxiety, and that more than one Key to Calm is needed. In seeking that elusive peace, I was cheered this week by the story of the inventor Thomas Eddison. An associate recalled Eddison telling him that he had conducted over 9,000 experiments when developing a new storage battery, but every single one had failed. Yet far from being downhearted, Eddison smiled when asked if he was disappointed by the lack of results. ‘Results!’ he is supposed to have said. ‘Why man, I have gotten a lot of results! I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ In your search for inner calm, treat supposedly mistaken approaches not as failures but as a chance to learn. I tried really hard to incorporate regular daily trips to the gym as an obvious strategy to manage my anxiety – till I accepted I hate gyms. The only mistake you can make is to be afraid of making a mistake.

http://nottinghillpost.com/news/black-rainbow-rachel-kelly/


No comments:

Post a Comment